April 3, 2015
The highly detailed HO Scale 57′ Mechanical Reefer Athearn Genesis model is available with Soundtraxx Tsunami Sound!
One of the greatest freight car innovations of the 20th century was the creation of the refrigerator car, commonly referred to as a “reefer.” The ability to haul perishables such as fruits, vegetables and meat products across the country was a major factor in the development of modern America. No longer did food have to be produced close enough to urban areas, so that it could be consumed before spoiling. At the same time, areas with additional capacity for agricultural production could produce more food, since it did not have to be sold locally.
For many years, reefers relied on ice bunkers to keep loads cool. After World War II, technological advances made mechanical refrigeration practical for a freight car. In addition, a mechanical reefer could be larger than an ice reefer because of the greater cooling capabilities.
Fruit Growers Express owned the largest fleet of reefers in the East. FGE was owned by a group of ten railroads, with Atlantic Coast Line and Southern being two of the largest original owners. Many of FGE cars were built at its Jacksonville Shops, including these 57’ smooth-side mechanical reefers.
Burlington Northern Fruit Express – BNFE
Fruit Growers Express – FGE / Solid Cold
Frisco – SLSF
UP / ARMN
Available in the following roadnames:
BNFE (Burlington Northern Fruit Express)
FGE / Solid Cold (Fruit Growers Express)
UP / ARMN (Union Pacific / American Refrigerator Transit Co.)
Check them all out here: HO Scale 57′ Mechanical Reefers
White Rose Hobbies Price
Soundtraxx Sound (MSRP $84.98): $64.99
Non-Sound (MSRP $49.98): $38.99
October 30, 2010
Click Here to check them out now!
DC – $149.99 Item #’s ATHG68512, ATHG68513, ATHG68514 & ATHG68515
DCC + Tsunami Sound – $229.99 Item #’s ATHG68612, ATHG68613, ATHG68614, & ATHG68615
July 17, 2010
Athearn has added 2 new freight cars to its Genesis line. They have added a 50′ GATC 20,000 Gallon SHN* Type 40 GS Tank Car as well as a 50′ PC&F Welded Box w/10′ Door. Both cars will feature the famous Genesis trucks with operating bearing caps
Click Here to see them now!
Era 1960’s – Present
Click Here to check them out!
Era 1960’s – 1990’s
To see our complete listing of upcoming products visit www.whiterosehobbies.com
March 10, 2010
Most of you know that the Genesis F-Units are among the top of the class and the new Pennsylvania Railroad FP7 is no exception. Check out the features:
- Researched from the prototype to match specific units (including PRR Trainphone)
- Genesis driveline with dynamically balanced five pole skew wound motor and dual flywheels
- Directional constant lighting
- Individual window ‘glass’
- DCC Quick-Plug equipped or DCC + Soundtraxx Sound
- Detailed battery boxes/air tank with brackets
- Front and rear MU hoses, coupler cut levers and air hoses
- McHenry scale knuckle spring couplers installed
Check them out today at White Rose Hobbies!
DC models starting at $135.99 for an A unit!
DCC + Soundtraxx Tsunami Sound $207.99!
January 21, 2010
The long awaited SD70Ace model from Athearn’s Genesis line is expected to be delivered to White Rose Hobbies this September. Available with or without SoundTraxx Tsunami sound, Athearn’s SD70ACe locomotive is a must-have for serious model-railroading enthusiasts.
Visit DCCinstalled.com to see all the details today! You can add your email address to be notified when they arrive or place a firm pre-order now!
In order to meet the stricter diesel locomotive emissions standards imposed by the EPA Tier II regulations, EMD modified the SD70MAC and created the SD70ACe. The SD70ACe is powered by a 16 cylinder, 710G3C-T2 diesel engine, producing 4,300 horsepower. The engine drives an alternator producing AC current that is rectified to DC current and then “chopped” back into AC to power the traction motors. The engine and electrical system are similar to the SD70MAC, but updated with newer technology. Much of the external design is based on the SD90 series locomotives. Some of these features include the full height nose door and rectangular windshields, the large flared radiators with two fans, and the positioning of the dynamic brake equipment at the rear of the long hood. In addition, the inverters were moved from inside the long hood to a box on the walkway behind the cab. Four demonstrator locomotives were built in 2003, followed by 20 pre-production units for CSX in 2004. Full production started in 2005 and through 2009, 820 SD70ACe’s have been built for the US and Mexico. Nine more were exported to Venezuela and 46 built for BHP Billiton’s iron ore operation in Pilbara, Australia. In addition 10 units from BNSF’s 2008 order were diverted to BHP. Union Pacific painted six units in paint schemes commemorating the six railroads that were merged into UP in the 1980’s and 1990’s and renumbered them for the year of the mergers.
The first run will include the following roadnames: Union Pacific/Missouri Pacific Heritage, BNSF, KCS, and Union Pacific.
October 27, 2009
Athearn is releasing the GP15-1 in their Genesis Line. This will be the most prototypical and detailed GP15-1 on the market.
• Fully assembled and ready to operate
• State-of-the-art tooling
• Detailed fuel tank • See-through etched radiator intake grilles
• Etched top radiator screens
• Sliding cab windows
• DCC Quick-Plug™ equipped (8 or 9 Pin)
• Directional Lighting
• Blomberg-B or Blomberg-M sideframes, per prototype
• Super-Smooth Athearn Genesis® Trucks and Motor
• Hex drive line
• Etched windshield wipers• Etched lift rings
• Directional Headlights
• Operating front / rear ditch lights (per prototype and era)
• Sander Lines, air filters, and other under frame detail
• Sound Units Feature SoundTraxx Tsunami Sound Decoders
• McHenry® Scale Knuckle Spring Couplers
• Razor sharp painting and printing
• Machined nickel-plated and blackened RP25 wheels
• Many separate injection-molded, lost-wax, and photo-etched parts
• Molded Celcon handrails (now with one-piece end handrails for increased durability)
• Many, RR specific-details, such as C&NW “Gong” Bell, MP extra jacking pads, etc.
• Impingement (louvered) or Inertial Air Filter (“dustbin hatch”) carbody versions, per prototype
• Plows, MU hoses, MU cables, and other end details per prototype and era
• Tsunami sound units from SoundTraxx are compatible with both DCC and DC operations.
• Program an M/U lashup with lead unit only horn, bell and lights.
• Full DCC functions when in DCC mode.
Available in Chicago Northwestern, Conrail, Missouri Pacific, and Norfolk Southern.
DC Retail $169.98 WRH (20%) $135.99
DCC/Tsunami Sound Retail $269.98 WRH (20%) $215.99
Click Here to Pre-Order!
July 3, 2009
There are many new products hitting the site this month! Most notably the second wave of the N Scale KATO SD70ACe in Southern Pacific and Chicago & Northwestern Heritage paint schemes. Also the newest N Scale car from Exactrail will be here in a few weeks, the Trinity Hy-Cube Boxcar. In HO Scale we have the next releases from Exactrail. They have proven themselves with their first few cars and the new Trinity Hy-Cube Boxcar and PS-2CD 4427 Covered Hopper are another quality offering! Also the new Athearn Genesis F45’s with Soundtraxx Tsunami Sound.
Click to see what is available now!
Available for Pre-Order now on DCCinstalled.com